Monday, February 18, 2008

Yes, I Like Haikus

I was first introduced to haikus in my senior year of high school. A haiku is a type of Japanese poetry. I really enjoyed writing haikus back then and I continue to like it today. I usually only write them when I'm in a relationship or when I want to crack myself up.

For those who aren't aware, the traditional haiku has three lines consisting of syllables in the following pattern: 5-7-5.

Here are some old haikus I wrote about a girl I had a relationship with in the past.

i see long black hair
dark eyes are like the ocean
skin is smooth like glass

i see a flower
i see a flower and i
think about her face

the day will come when
my heart will be sad again
because she is gone

like gentle rain
falling down upon my lips
her lips of sugar

will she remember
my sweet kiss upon her face?
i will not forget

the pain in my soul
as saturday approaches
is so deep, so deep

the touch of her hand
on my arm is like heaven
to feel it again...